Phone: 719-546-3600 | 4020 Jerry Murphy Road Pueblo, CO 81001

4th of July Safety: Leave Fireworks to Professionals

Posted by UFMC Pueblo in Uncategorized | 0 comments

4th of July Safety: Leave Fireworks to Professionals

4th of july fireworks

The 4th of July is a great holiday for friends, family and fireworks. We all love fireworks but they are dangerous. It is best to leave fireworks to the professionals, rather than trying to put on your own fireworks show. 

Did you know fireworks-related injuries are most common on July 4 and New Year’s Eve? Fireworks can cause death and injury, including burns, contusions, lacerations, and eye damage caused by foreign objects. Make the choice to protect yourself and your family from fireworks injuries, with the following tips:

  • Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks
  • Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities
  • Avoid buying fireworks packaged in brown paper, which often means they were made for professional displays and could be dangerous for consumers
  • Make sure you, your kids, and others watch fireworks displays from a safe distance
  • Call 911 immediately if someone is injured from fireworks

The best way to protect your family is to not use any fireworks at home. Instead, attend public fireworks displays and leave the lighting to the professionals.If you plan to use fireworks, make sure they are legal in your area.

Be Extra Careful with Sparklers
Many parents think sparklers are harmless, but little arms are too short to hold sparklers. Sparklers can heat up to 1,200 degrees. Consider glow sticks instead of sparklers for the little ones. They can be just as fun but they don’t burn at a temperature hot enough to melt glass.

Take Necessary Precautions

  1. Do not wear loose clothing while using fireworks.
  2. Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
  3. Point fireworks away from homes, and keep away from brush, leaves and flammable substances

Be Prepared for an Accident or Injury

  1. Stand several feet away from lit fireworks. If a device does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate it. Put it out with water and dispose of it.
  2. Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby. Know how to operate the fire extinguisher properly.
  3. If a child is injured by fireworks, immediately go to a doctor or hospital. If an eye injury occurs, don’t allow your child to touch or rub it, as this may cause even more damage.
Tags: , , ,