Phone: 719-546-3600 | 4020 Jerry Murphy Road Pueblo, CO 81001

Children and Sparklers – Firework safety!

Posted by UFMC Pueblo in Company News | 0 comments

play-with-sparklers

Did you know that 44% of injuries related to fireworks happen to people under the age of 19? While sparklers may seem like a fun way to celebrate the day with friends and family, they could actually ruin the holiday, or even the rest of your summer.


Fire department officials say they have more burns predominantly on young children, due to sparklers, than they see fires. Sparklers that people hand their children are approximately 1,300 degrees in temperature. It does not take much for a severe burn from a spark or accidental drop to burn your child. It’s very important for parents to understand the damage the can be done in just seconds by fireworks, particularly sparklers.

Even more hazardous is if a sparkler makes contact with a child’s clothing. Young children are especially vulnerable to this. Not only do they not always have the fine motor control, but they also have really tender skin, and so if something happens and a spark falls or even a spent sparkler can remain hot for quite some time.

Your best bet when it comes to fireworks on the 4th? Leave it to the pro’s and watch from afar. We recommend that people go to the public displays. They are far more elaborate, they’re far safer, and the people who are doing those public displays know what they’re doing.

Have a Happy 4th of July weekend!

Tags: , , , , , , ,