4th of July Safety: Leave Fireworks to Professionals The 4th of July is a great holiday for friends, family and fireworks. We all love fireworks but they are dangerous. It is best to leave fireworks to the professionals, rather than trying to put on your own fireworks show. Did you know fireworks-related injuries are most common on July 4 and New Year’s Eve? Fireworks can cause death and injury, including burns, contusions, lacerations, and eye damage caused by foreign objects. Make the choice to protect yourself and your family from fireworks injuries, with the following tips:
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities
- Avoid buying fireworks packaged in brown paper, which often means they were made for professional displays and could be dangerous for consumers
- Make sure you, your kids, and others watch fireworks displays from a safe distance
- Call 911 immediately if someone is injured from fireworks
- Do not wear loose clothing while using fireworks.
- Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
- Point fireworks away from homes, and keep away from brush, leaves and flammable substances
- Stand several feet away from lit fireworks. If a device does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate it. Put it out with water and dispose of it.
- Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby. Know how to operate the fire extinguisher properly.
- If a child is injured by fireworks, immediately go to a doctor or hospital. If an eye injury occurs, don't allow your child to touch or rub it, as this may cause even more damage.
Did you know that 44% of injuries related to fireworks happen to people under the age of 19? While sparklers may seem like a fun way to celebrate the day with friends and family, they could actually ruin the holiday, or even the rest of your summer. Fire department officials say they have more burns predominantly on young children, due to sparklers, than they see fires. Sparklers that people hand their children are approximately 1,300 degrees in temperature. It does not take much for a severe burn from a spark or accidental drop to burn your child. It’s very important for parents to understand the damage the can be done in just seconds by fireworks, particularly sparklers. Even more hazardous is if a sparkler makes contact with a child’s clothing. Young children are especially vulnerable to this. Not only do they not always have the fine motor control, but they also have really tender skin, and so if something happens and a spark falls or even a spent sparkler can remain hot for quite some time. Your best bet when it comes to fireworks on the 4th? Leave it to the pro's and watch from afar. We recommend that people go to the public displays. They are far more elaborate, they're far safer, and the people who are doing those public displays know what they're doing. Have a Happy 4th of July weekend!