Poisoning. It’s unfortunate and can easily happen in all sorts of situations.
Poisoning is injury or death due to swallowing, inhaling, touching or injecting various drugs, chemicals, venoms or gases. Substances or gasses, such as drugs and carbon monoxide, are poisonous only in higher concentrations or dosages. Other substances, such as household cleaners, are dangerous only if ingested. Children are particularly sensitive to even small amounts of certain drugs and chemicals.
Poisoning Signs and Symptoms.
Signs and symptoms depending on what has been ingested can all be different. Often times they can mimic other conditions, such as seizure, alcohol intoxication, stroke and insulin reaction. Some of these symptoms may include:
All poisoning symptoms differ. Age, symptoms and substance cause various reactions so there is no one solution for a poisoning — especially if you don’t know what the substance is.
If you suspect or are concerned about possible poisoning, call Poison Help at 800-222-1222 in the United States or your regional poison control center. Poison control centers are excellent resources for poisoning information and, in many situations, may advise that in-home observation is all that’s needed.